Failure to comply with these regulations as well as any conduct which is contrary to mutually respectful behaviour and good order within the Residence can be penalised with a sanction or disciplinary proceeding. Misconduct may be:
- a) Minor. b) Serious. c) Very serious.
Minor misconduct includes:
- Removing items that belong in the Residence’s common areas and/or keeping them in your private room.
- Using common services improperly or outside stipulated regular hours.
- Infringing the rules relating to use, tidiness and hygiene in common areas and rooms.
- Keeping pets within the Residence’s premises.
- Improperly using or moving pieces of furniture between rooms.
- Repeatedly arriving at the Residence while under the influence of alcohol.
- Not maintaining your room and keeping it sufficiently tidy to allow for weekly cleaning.
Serious misconduct includes:
- Organising or taking part in any activity which is contrary to mutually respectful behaviour within the Residence.
- Disturbing the peace at night, in or out of the Residence, with other members of the Residence or with members from other residences or non-members.
- Failure to comply with instructions and orders given by the Residence Management.
- Allowing non-members of the Residence to use the room, in whole or in part.
- Entering another resident’s room without his/her permission.
- Staying in the common areas with non-members of the Residence outside stipulated hours.
- Intentionally destroying or damaging the Residence’s property, furniture and appliances.
- Seriously disturbing other residents while they are studying or resting.
- Accumulating three minor misconduct sanctions.
Very serious misconduct includes:
- Showing disrespect to or physically attacking any other resident or member of the Residence’s personnel, or any person located in the residential areas.
- Having or using alcohol or any kind of drugs, narcotic substances or weapons within the entire residential area.
- Committing any act of hazing or any individual or collective action that offends the dignity of residents, members of personnel or persons outside the Residence.
- Committing any crimes or offences, as established in the Criminal Code.
- Accumulating three serious misconduct sanctions.
- Smoking outside designated areas.
The following sanctions may be imposed for the events of misconduct specified above:
- In the event of minor misconduct, a reprimand shall be imposed, together with the obligation to repair any damage caused.
- In the event of serious misconduct, the obligation to repair any damage caused shall be imposed, together with such additional measures as the Managers may deem fit, including the obligation to move to a different room, non-allocation of a room in the future, reporting the case to the police if a crime or a misdemeanour has allegedly been committed or suspending.
- Sanctions for very serious misconduct shall be agreed upon by the Residence’s Managers, respecting the principle of adversarial proceedings and the right of the resident concerned to be heard, and shall include non-allocation of a room in the future, reporting the case to the police if a crime or a misdemeanour has allegedly been committed or suspending the exercise or use of the resident’s rights or services for a period of between 10 and 20 days, except in the event of hazing, which shall result in the immediate expulsion of the resident. Failure to abide by any sanctions imposed shall amount to serious misconduct if the sanction was imposed for minor misconduct, and to very serious misconduct if the sanction was imposed for serious or very serious misconduct. The sanction imposed shall always be proportional to the misconduct. The managers shall also assess whether or not the resident acted wilfully or the case involves repeated misconduct.
The imposition of sanctions for serious or very serious misconduct shall always be the result of disciplinary proceedings. To prevent delays, all steps of the proceedings may be completed verbally, even if they must be recorded in writing in the sanction decision. In addition, sanctions for minor misconduct may be immediately imposed by the Residence Management.
The principle of adversarial proceedings and the right to be heard shall be respected, as well as the right to defence and to confidentiality at all stages of the proceedings.
Reasons shall be given for any decision made by the Managers.
Subsequent amendments to the Disciplinary Regulations.
These regulations may be subsequently supplemented or amended. Any supplement or amendment shall be void unless duly published by the Management and communicated to the residents by any appropriate means.
GLOBAL ELLIPSIS SL